Wood & Wine
Makers Quarter is delighted to host our latest class
"wood & wine"
In collaboration with the fabulous
"SIP WINE DIDSBURY"
Taught by our in-house furniture maker Stephen Hobson you will learn how to shape a beautiful slab of live edge timber . All the wood is sourced from a Manchester based ,sustainable timber merchant. Focusing on shape and form you will create a cheeseboard using a mixture of traditional and modern woodworking techniques. Learn the basics of woodworking whilst hand crafting a unique piece of kitchenware for your home. For the latter part of the day you can hang up your tools and whilst the seal on your bespoke cheeseboard hardens you can learn how best to use it!
Enjoy some fabulous Cheese and Wine tasting with Nick......
We are collaborating with a Local wine merchants with a difference....SIP is an independent wine bar and shop based in West Didsbury. They specialise in pairing beautiful wines with tasty food platters from their small but perfectly formed bar on Burton road. SIP work hard with specialist suppliers to bring you a more exciting and diverse range of wines, rather than the wines normally found on the high street.
Nick will guide you through some wonderful wines paired with tasty cheeses; setting you up with all the right tools to enjoy your very own Cheese & Wine night from home with friends and family..
- 12-5 pm Woodwork class with Stephen
(Including a 45 minute lunch break)
- 5:00-6:30 pm Wine and cheese tasting with Nick here at MQ
- Stephen will introduce you to the hand tools you will be using throughout the day. These tools are the basic hand tools you will need to do any woodworking project.
- You will be given your slab of live edge wood and will plan and mark out your bespoke design. We encourage an organic form with some soft curves and a handle.... perfect for that handcrafted look.
- Using hand tools such as a chisels, spoke-shave, coping saw and hand plane you will shape the outer line of your cheeseboard and handle.
- Using the large Pillar Drill you will cut the hole for your handle ready to be smoothed.
- Smooth out all edges with the combined use of hand sanding and the use of our Bobbin Sanders.
- Fine Sand & Seal.
- An hour of Cheese and wine tasting with Nick from SIP. You will taste a variety of 5 wines with accompanying cheeses to get your weekend off to a good start!
No.of students: 10
Price: £95 (including all materials, cheese and wine!)
Saturday June 23rd 12-6.30 pm
Saturday August TBC
Bespoke corporate bookings available. **For corporate events you can personalise your cheeseboard by branding your logo into the wood.**
Free parking available. Our nearest Metrolink station in Cornbrook, a short 10 minute walk from the workshop.
WOOD & WINE
SATURDAY 23rd of JUNE
12- 6:30 pm